Friday, February 21, 2014

Double Irish Chain Quilt

It has been a long time since my last post - no excuses really - I think my summer holidays just got in the way.  Having had a wonderful break, I am back to quilting now and have just finished an enormous Double Irish Chain quilt for my customer Chris.  Chris gave me free reign on what to quilt and the setting areas of this quilt certainly allowed for some creative quilting.

Inspired by the quilting of Judy Madsen from Green Fairy Quilts and her book "Quilting Wide Open Space", I came up with the following quilting designs.  Each block has been quilted with a feathered motif while the blocks around the outside of the quilt have been cross-hatched and then quilted with double continuous curves.


The following photo of one of the blocks shows the detail of the quilting design - each feathered motif is surrounded by my favourite background fill - pebbles.


Due to the size of this quilt, I was unable to take a photo of the entire quilt.


I hope you have enjoyed Chris' quilt - I can't wait to see her reaction when she picks up her beautiful quilt.

11 comments:

  1. This is just absolutely beautiful. I would burst into tears if it were mine! Happy tears!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW that is fantastic. I love Judi's book but haven't put it into practice as yet. Chris will be blown away when she sees her quilt, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WoW!!! Chris is going to swoon when she see's her quilt. Your quilting on this one is out of this world!! Absolutely beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous quilting Karen, I have Judys book too and want to have a go...soon I hope, I'm sure Chris is going to luv it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, BEAUTIFUL quilting!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt and quilting are stunning! Thanks for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments - they will appear shortly.