I have been trying to finish some of my UFO's and have finally managed to put the binding on this little wholecloth quilt which was quilted some time ago.
"Opals" is made from a pre-printed Bernatex Wholecloth Quilt Top which I purchased when I went to Houston in 2011. I found the pre-printed quilt top a great way to improve my accuracy in following quilting lines. The quilt measures about 38 inches square.
I wanted to do something a little different rather than just quilt as is so I added cut-away shadow trapunto. I used a custom dyed fabric for the layer between the cut-away trapunto and the wadding - it was a very bold piece dyed for me by She's Got Mojo. I also added pebbling around the feathered motifs and in the border.
The end result has been fairly subtle - I might like to try this again with a slighly more transparent quilt top for a bolder effect. Nevertheless, I do quite like the subtle opal shading which it has created.