Thursday, October 1, 2009

Quilt Show Ribbons - Australian Machine Quilters Association Show 2009

I have been waiting anxiously for the return of the two quilts I entered into the inaugural Australian Machine Quilters Association (AMQA) Show which was held on September 26th  and 27th in Queensland.  I was thrilled to hear that both quilts won first prize ribbons in their respective categories and couldn't wait to see the ribbons.  I have now received one of the quilts and its ribbon in the mail but the AMQA have asked if they could show the other quilt in the Queensland Quilt Show which is being held 21st - 25th October so I can only show you one of the ribbons.  It is a rather beautful ribbon, very elegant ..




The two quilts I entered were Zigue Zague which was entered into the Functional Custom category and Oma's Garden which was entered into the Edge-to-Edge category.

I made Zigue Zague this year and, as the name suggests, it is a zig zag quilt made from solid colours.  I love the simplicity of strippy quilts, especially with solid colours as they lend themselves well to allowing the quilting to be a feature.  I quilted Zigue Zague with a feather design along the lenth of each zig zag, changing thread colours for each change in fabric.  Each zig zag required five passes of quilting.  Zigue Zague was also entered into the Australian Machine Quilter's Exhibition held in Melbourne in July this year where it was awarded a 2nd place in the Custom Quilting Category.

The following is a full view of Zigue Zague with its ribbon at the Australian Machine Quilter's Exhibition in July this year.



This is a close up of the quilting.





I made Oma's Garden in 2008 and it was also entered into the Australian Machine Quilter's Exhibition in Melbourne that year where it was awarded 2nd place in the Edge-to-Edge Category.  Oma's Garden is also a strippy quilt which alternates wide strips of a floral fabric with plain linen strips which again allows the quilting to be a feature.  Oma's Garden was quilted with an intricate edge-to-edge design which features flowers, leaves and feathers.

The following is a full view of Oma's Garden.



This is a close up of the quilting.



It was an absolute thrill to have won 2 first prize ribbons with 2 quilts in the inaugural AMQAS.  I would like to thank the organisers of the Australian Machine Quilters Association Show for their hard work in getting the first show up an running and the sponsors for their support - well done and I'll look forward to next year's show. 

If you would like to see photos of the other prize winning quilts please visit the AMQA-inc blog.

14 comments:

  1. Oh Wow, Congratulations on two first places!! I saw your zig zag one at the Melbourne show and was surprised it only got a second ribbon there...I was stunned by your quilting and it's SO deserving of first place. Your quilting is amazing, I'm so happy for you xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on your ribbons! well deserved, the quilts are stunners!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Beautifully quilted, a well deserved first place!

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful!! Congrats on your well deserved winnings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilts are just beautiful!! Couldn't imagine you not winning with those entries! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations and well-deserved! The quilting is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Karen!! Fantastic quilting x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations Karen!! the quilting is outstanding and I am glad that I have you as a mentor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Congrats on those ribbons! Now I'm really honored you visit my blog :) I want to to doing those feathers sometime, they are beautiful!! (Will have to be on my own quilts though, no one around here wants to pay what I would need to charge for that kind of custom!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Karen on those ribbons!!Just like Oma's
    garden,lots off flowers!
    Oma.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there,
    I saw your Zigue Zague quilt at "Jeff's Shed" in Melbourne in July. It is even more stunning in real life than it looks in the photos!!! Absolutely beautiful!
    Found your blog via Park City Girl's online Quilt Festival, glad i dropped by :-)

    Cheers,
    BJ

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh your zig zag quilt is fabulous. I love it in the solids, and the quilting is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, both very deserving of their ribbons. The Zigue Zague quilt is sensational.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The old adage of "its not a quilted until its quilted" is magnified, enhanced and proven with the zig zag quilt. Perfection.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments - they will appear shortly.