Friday, October 30, 2009

Just Leaf It

As  a machine quilter I like to try new designs and quilting ideas.  I am always buying books for inspiration and a book I purchased recently was "Just Leaf It" by Kim Stotsenberg.  As the title suggests, the book explains how to quilt leaves into quilts, giving ideas for borders, sashing and blocks.



I am usually not brave enough to quilt a new design straight onto a quilt without at least having practiced it.  This time, I decided to make a small wholecloth quilt to try out these new leaves.  My little "Just Leaf It" wholecloth quilt is about 20 inches square.




Here are some close-ups of the quilting.








This was also the first time I had quilted the pebble background fill.  I love the look of the pebbles and the way it has made the leaves pop up.  The pebbles were, however, a very time consuming background fill to quilt and I found it hard to relax while quilting them.

I loved making this little quilt which now hangs in my studio - it is great to be able to show customers a quilting design on a quilt rather than on paper.


18 comments:

  1. You are an amazing free motion quilter. What great inspiration. Love the pebbles too!

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely freaking stunning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it looks great. Way to bite the bullet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks amazing, it's a lovely change to feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! I love doing leaves - more forgiving than feathers. I really like your pebbles too, I tend to make mine more uniform and think I'll try it your way next time - gives it a more interesting look. I've thought many times I need to make samples to show my customers, it's so hard to describe things some times. Now....just to get the time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is very beautiful. You are very good! I hope I can get to be half as good someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't even think of words to appropriately describe this little quilt. Your work is so amazing. The leaves are so perfect, and I can't imagine how long it must have taken to quilt all of those pebbles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh-my-goodness!!!! I'm speechless. Your quilting amazes me. This is incredible. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful quilting, and your first try turned out so accurately

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!!! Wow!!! Wait, let me say it again. Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in love with this little piece ! Your quilting is exquisite !

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments - they will appear shortly.