Sunday, February 7, 2010

Loch Quilt Hanging 2010

When I found out that the 10th Loch Quilt Hanging was to be the last one, I knew I had to go.  So, at the last minute it was decided to make the trip to Loch with a quilting friend.  I have been to quite a few Loch Quilt Hangings  over the years and have some great memories - I have previously taken my Mother, my Mother-in-Law and my husband and children.  We have always enjoyed the day and today was no exception.

My friend and I had a lovely time, catching up on quilting news, having a wonderful morning tea in Loch, wandering around amongst the lovely quilts, enjoying a great lunch and then the return drive to Melbourne all on a glorious summer day.  As a sign of this electronic age, I bumped into an on-line friend Cathy from Cabbage Quilts and we caught up with several quilting customers.

Loch Village was established in South Gippsland in 1876 and is a small township with a rural charm. The original buildings and colourful cottage gardens add interest to a leisurely village stroll and are a fitting backdrop to the antique and craft shops, bric-a-brac stores and galleries.  The charming buildings certainly make a great backdrop for the quilts which were on display today.


The makers of these two quilts were Maureen Mackie and Clare Brown.


The quilt on the left was made by Gail Watts.  Unfortunately, I don't know the maker of the small quilt on the right.


These quilts were by Deirdre Mifsud, Amanda Davis and Fay Beverley.


Again, I don't know the maker of the quilt on the left.  The maker of the quilt on the right is Maureen Mackie.

While the public display of quilts was great, I particularly enjoyed the collection of quilts by Yoko Okamoto from Japan.  Yoko's hand piecing, applique and hand quilting were just amazing.   My two favourite quilts from her collection were the following:-




Loch Quilt Hanging 2010 was a wonderful day out with a great array of glorious quilts on display.  It is with some sadness that this will be the last one - thank you to Julie Wallace and the organisers from Quilters Barn for 10 great years of Quilt Hangings.

7 comments:

  1. It was wonderful to bump into you today Karen, you never know who you are going to see!! Such a pity this wonderful little 10 year tradition at Loch has come to an end. Yoko's quilt's were amazing, her handstitching incredible. I took some pics today, might get them onto the blog in the next day or so if they turned out!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL QUILTS! it did look like a lot of fun. HAPPY SEWING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wish I'd had time on the weekend to go to this. Sounds like you and your friend had a lovely time. So nice to bump into some fellow online friends too! Thanks for sharing all the lovely pictures, you have catalogued them well.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't even realise it was on, what a pity as I would of gone. Looks like you had a good day with your friend. Lots of amazing quilts on display.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i didnt realise it was on until it was too late and then i find out its the last one!! waiilll. can anyone tell me why it is finishing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing those great quiltpictures. They look so amazing! And I love the quilting you on quilts. Very beautiful!
    Have a great day
    Martina

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments - they will appear shortly.